Maine has a program to help seniors and adults with disabilities to move out of nursing homes back into the community. Homeward Bound is a demonstration project funded by the federal Centers for Medicaid & Medicare Services (CMS).
Where do people move?
Participation in Homeward Bound is voluntary and individuals are given their choice of available community options. In order to qualify for Homeward Bound Services, the participant must move to a “Qualified Residence,” defined by CMS as:
- A home that is owned or leased by the individual or a family member, or
- An apartment with an individual lease, or
- A residence in a community based residential setting in which no more than four unrelated people reside.
To qualify for Homeward Bound, individuals must be 18 or older at the time of transition and:
- Have resided in a Nursing Facility and/ or Hospital for at least 90 days*, not including any short term rehabilitative stay and,
- Received Medicaid benefits for an inpatient hospital or nursing facility for at least one day and,
- Need institutional or nursing facility level of care, but for the provision of home and community based services.
* We are able to begin transition assistance prior to the 90 day mark.
People who enroll in Homeward Bound are eligible to receive an individualized package of services and supports:
- All participants receive Transition Assistance facilitated by a Transition Coordinator who works with the individual and his or her team to better understand their needs, develop a transition plan and provide intensive help with transitioning back into the community
Additional services are arranged according to individual needs and may include Home and Community Based Waiver Services (if eligible), Medicaid State Plan Services and Homeward Bound Demonstration Services such as Specialized Clinical Assessments, Independent Living Assistance, Household Start-Up, Enhanced Care Coordination, Technology Services, Planning Consultation and Peer Supports.
For more information about the Homeward Bound program visit the Maine Department of Health and Human Services – Office of Aging and Disability Services website or make a referral to Homeward Bound by contacting Nicole Rooney at 207-287-4265 or email@example.com