Date: December 13, 2023
Time: 1:00 – 2:00 pm ET
Creating accessible content is important for many reasons beyond the possible legal requirements, the information you are sharing can reach more people and it ensures critical information is not missed by readers. When content is fully accessible, it is beneficial to people with vision impairments, learning disabilities, color blindness, and many others. This webinar will walk you through the steps of creating accessible content using Microsoft Word and PowerPoint on a MacBook Pro. The tools and techniques presented will also carry over to other platforms, such as Google Docs.
The areas addressed in the training include the following:
· Visual presentation: Participants will learn about font size, type, color contrast, and slide layout.
· Document navigation: Participants will learn how to use built-in features to create accessible headings, making the document easier to navigate for individuals using screen readers.
· Lists and hyperlinks: Participants will learn how to make lists and create hyperlinks in an accessible manner, not just a visual format.
· Alt-text: Participants will learn about alt-text and why it is needed, as well as step-by-step instruction for creating alt-text in presentations.
· Accessibility checkers: Participants will learn about built-in accessibility checkers, and additional manual checking to be considered.
Leilani Carlson, Maine CITE Assistive Technology Specialist – Leilani joined the state assistive technology program, Maine CITE, in July 2022. For ten years, she provided education, resource information, and direct assistance to agricultural workers with disabilities or chronic illnesses as the Maine AgrAbility Project Coordinator. Before working in disability services, she worked in the environmental engineering and consulting industry for more than 15 years.
How to Access this Webinar
Please see directions for how to use the Zoom Webinar system including the accessibility features.
Certificates of Attendance
Participants attending the live webinar will receive a link to a short program evaluation form at the end of the presentation. Certificates of Attendance will be sent (via e-mail) to those who have completed this evaluation form.
Maine CITE provides live transcription via CART (Communication Access Realtime Translation) as well as a link for streamtext for all webinars. If you need another accommodation to attend the webinar, please contact Maine CITE on or before December 6, 2023 via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 207-621-3195.