This webinar is part of a series focused on the built-in accessibility features included with the major technology operating systems: Apple, Microsoft, and Google/Android.
Recorded: July 27, 2021 – Accessibility features are meant to make the use of technology less challenging for those with disabilities. Common accessibility features include screen readers, text-to-speech, closed-captioning, voice control and keyboard shortcuts. Additional access features are designed to work with various assistive technologies including switch technologies.
In this second webinar of the series, we will review the access features found in the world’s most popular operating system, Microsoft Windows, as well as several of their other popular software packages and hardware systems including their gaming devices.
Participant will learn:
- How these features can assist users to control/activate the accessibility features of each device
- How people can access content, navigate, and control their devices
- Where to get more information and training.
John Brandt is the Training Coordinator for Maine’s Assistive Technology program, Maine CITE. An early adopter of all technology, he has consulted on education, accessibility, and information technology for many years.
Web resources and video links mentioned in this webinar
- Accessibility Technology & Tools | Microsoft Accessibility
- MS Keyboard commands to control access features
- Microsoft Narrator at a Glance – video
- Hadley Narrator: Getting Started – video – free account required
- Live transcription in MS Teams – video
- Live captioning and subtitling with Microsoft PowerPoint
- Windows Speech Recognition commands
- Eye Controls with Windows
- MS On-screen keyboard
- Demonstration Dictate in Word
- Demo of Switch access on Windows 10 with additional assistive technology device and software
- Reader View and Read Aloud in Edge
- Immersive Reader
Demo – Immersive Reader in Edge
What is Immersive Reader
- Make your content in MS Office 365 accessible to everyone with the Accessibility Checker