Date: January 20, 2022
Time: 11:00 am – Noon
According to recent statistics from the National Institute of Deafness and Other Communications Disorders, approximately 38 million, or 15% of all Americans have some hearing loss and it is estimated nearly 29 million American could benefit from the use of hearing aids.
In this webinar, participants will learn about the variety of assistive technologies that support persons with hearing loss including hearing aids. Accessibility features, various assistive telecommunications devices and free support services will also be discussed.
Participants will learn about:
- Various AT for people with hearing loss
- Services from DRM Telecommunication Equipment Program (TEP) and Deaf-Blind Equipment Program
- Equipment Demonstration/Loan options
- Debra Bare-Rogers, TRS Outreach Advocate – At DRM, Debra provides outreach and training for Maine Relay Services. As a woman with adult-onset hearing loss, she shares her personal journey with other hard of hearing individuals, both as a certified Hearing Loss Peer Mentor and Region 1 Director in ALDA (Association of Late-Deafened Adults).
- Lisa Penney, TEP Advocate – At DRM, Lisa coordinates the telecommunications equipment/hearing aid program. Lisa has worked in and been a part of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing community all of her life.
- Scott Murray, has been Maine’s Deaf-Blind Equipment Distribution program coordinator since 2013, and has been working with Deaf-Blind people for over 20 years, as an SSP, sign language interpreter, braille tutor and note-taker.
How to Access this Webinar
Registration for this event is closed but you can still attend.
Please see directions for how to use the Zoom Webinar system including the accessibility features.
Video archive of webinar – coming soon
Documents referenced during the webinar:
- Webinar Handout – MS-Word
- Relay Conference Captioning flyer – PDF
- TEP Program brochure – PDF
- T-Mobile IP Relay Service flyer – PDF
- Maine Relay Community 2022 flyer – PDF
- How to take care of Your hearing aids
- Assistive listening devices (ALDs) for hearing loss
- Telecommunications Equipment Program (TEP)
- Maine Relay Council
- National Deaf Blind Equipment Distribution Program (NDBEDP)
Speech-to-Text apps mentioned:
- Live Transcript – Android
- e-Dictate – Android
- Otter – Android
- Hearing Helper – Apple
- NALScribe – Apple
- Transcribe Speech to Text – Apple
- Otter- Apple
- OTC (over the counter) Hearing Aids
- OTC Hearing Devices
- Medicare and Hearing Aids
- Hearing Aid Assistance – State of Maine
- Hearing Aids and OTC Devices
- Article about PSAPs vs. Hearing aids (2018)
- Federal Register: Medical Devices; Ear, Nose, and Throat Devices; Establishing Over-the-Counter Hearing Aids
- Medicare, OTC, HAs and You
- OTC Hearing Devices
- Meet HelloGo, Sonova’s New Direct To Consumer Hearing Aids
- Association of Late-Deafened Adults (ALDA)
- Hearing Loss Association of America (HLAA)